Thinking About The Mobile Apps Biz – Read This
If you’re thinking about building a mobile smart phone app for consumers or for business you should review this deck by Henry Blodget. You can answer a number of your business model questions about platform and monetization strategy.
Some of the conclusions:
- Mobile monetization lags behind for a number of reasons – intrusiveness and small screen – the effect is a CPM reate of $3.50 for desktops and $0.75 for mobile
- Results is a fraction of Ad Spending
- But, Native mobile ads are appearing in timelines and feeds
- Geo location ads
- Shareable ads
- Bigger screens for tablets represents a better Ad opportunity
- With over 1M available apps on iOS and Android
- Anticipated 55B downloads in 2013
- More time spend on apps then mobile web
- Most are still free with small revenue (<$6k)
- Fremium is the dominant model
- iOS dominates revenue, preferred by developers and generate the most money
- But Android is dominating platforms worldwide
His concluding thoughts are that you need to be multi-screen vs. Single Screen.
Another great report from Business Insider.